Sunday 30 November 2014

Classes with Noriko Endo

My mom and I attended the International Quilt festival in Houston this year.  We took two classes with Noriko Endo.

The first class was on Silk Naturescapes.  This class demonstrated how to do her confetti technique to make a nature scene, as well as how to work with and dye silks.
Norko Endo helping a student

Norko Endo was an excellent instructor.  She took the time to explain and help each student. Her technique is to basically chop up fabric like confetti and put it on top of the batting.  Once you have the background of your scene mapped out, you place black tulle on top and sew down.  Then you chop more fabric confetti to make the foreground and repeat.
She brought a couple of her pieces to get us inspired.

Noriko's cherry blossom naturescape

More of Noriko's work
My mom and I had a great time in class.  It was really fun no having to have a structured project to make.  Noriko had asked all of us to bring 3 pictures of nature scenes with us.  So each person had a different result.
My mom working on her project
My inspiration scene
When we got close to finishing our project, Noriko asked us to have her check our work.  She then added "Noriko magic" to everyone's pieces.
My project before "Noriko magic"

My project after "Noriko magic" and after I quilted it
Noriko and mom with her finished project 

My mom's project










Noriko and me with my finished project


Here is my finished project after I put binding on it.


Our second class was called Silk Fiber Elegance. Noriko's examples:














We took silk fibers, silk pieces, and thread and placed them on dissoluble interfacing.


Once were done placing the design, you quilted the fibers on the interfacing in a grid-like fashion. Then you rinsed out the interfacing to expose the design.  It was a super fun week at Quilt Festival!
My finished project
Finished project with Noriko


No comments:

Post a Comment